Nature and Me - A Reverie !

Nature and Me - A reverie!

One fine sunny day I decide to travel,
Spend a night on grounds of gravel.
In an old farm house, a new story to dabble,
Lying on a hammock saddle.
I gaze up the tree and grapple,
At the stretched ropes of my hammock.
Balancing, my mind wanders.
As I lie down and ponder,
About fate, life and beyond her.
I grow fonder,
Of this tranquil place yonder.
No time to squander,
My piece I must conder.

I see the tree with my hammock tied,
I feel the breeze,
Its shade wide.
As the mulberry leaves flutter,
My eyes wander,
To detect a parrot camouflaged.
Gently without fluster,
Pecking with hooked red beak at mulberries.
Not a sound it seems to make,
Lest these long juicies crawl away.
I wonder if to it worms they resemble,
I sit so still, to think I tremble.
Not a whisper nor a shake.
Nothing that might break,
From a reverie awake,
A bird perched and a human that lay,
Waiting for some tried, tested mulberries to fall away.
Sharing in magical nature’s way,
From two far ends, peaks of a  saddle,
We both seemed bridled !
By those sweet juicy mulberries !

Eating its fill the parrot flies.
Leaving its perch,
Air fills with its cries.
Screeching and Squawking,
Quite a noise it makes,
Children interrupt their play midways.
I notice a hole in the tree,
Assuming my parrot’s abode it must be.
I wonder what magical world the hole hides
Oh what would I not give to get a holey ride !

Smiling at my silly joke,
Too afraid to climb up and poke !
I too decide to leave my berth,
Curiosity aroused to explore the earth.
A little further on the gravel,
Another of the nature’s treasure I unravel.
Two speckled eggs under a tree !
Laid in a shallow depression,
Their cryptic camouflaged colouration,
To match with surrounding sandy granulation !
I again marvel
At the bird’s trust in her capability,
Or in the tree’s immobility !
I wonder at the great responsibility,
And nature’s wondrous humility !

Dr. Guncha Gupta
24/4/19







Comments

  1. This is a beautiful poem about nature.The writer has a very keen observation and is able to notice the minutest activities going around her and that is why she is able to choose the right kind of words to express her mind and heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. Vivid imagination and very well expressed..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Twilight

The Mummy !

The Racehorse !